Friday, July 28, 2006

I am such a dork.

Unfortunately, I was only able to catch the last 10 minutes or so of the reading by Amy Tan and Billy Collins at the
Southampton Writers' Conference last night because I had evening classes. But I stuck around and bought two things for the signing, Amy Tan's latest release Saving Fish from Drowning and an anthology of poetry with a foreword by Billy Collins. Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry. I got them to sign the books, but I was so nervous that I was completely tongue-tied. I didn't know what to say to Amy Tan, I mean, it's Amy Tan! She asked me if I was in the writing program here and I mumbled some weird reply and just felt really awkward. Billy Collins asked me how I was enjoying the conference and I mumbled some stupid reply, and I left feeling like, Wow I am such a dork.

But hey, this is the first writer's conference I've ever been to. If there's a certain quota of karmic stupidity and dorkiness that one has to go through in life before they become cool, hey, at least I'm being a dork when I'm just a nobody-wanna-be writer, right?

2 Comments:

At 3:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Alau - I remember when Amy's first book came out. She did a signing in a chain bookstore in a downtown mall. They set up a table for her in between the New Fiction and magazines. There she was dressed up, standing in heels and being so very courteous and pleasant. No one stopped, yet she never lost her smile or her composure. I stayed in the store awhile, watching. Finally one person stopped, and I walked over. She was extremely engaging, chatting as if she'd known us for years. I bought, the other guy didn't. And all these years later, I've never forgotten her graciousness and courage. Am glad her books sell so well, and that she's so solidly accepted among writers. She's earned it. And am glad you had a chance to meet her. When you have your first signing, think of Amy, smile, and borrow a bit of her courage. She'd be delighted to pass it on.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger alau said...

Thank you for your kind and wonderful words. That's a great story for all aspiring writers. There's been too much uproar over the online actions of a few writers and it's nice to hear about someone gracious becoming so successful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home