Saturday, March 18, 2006

Travelogues

Two good friends recently went off to Africa (one for Peace Corps, another for a 6 month corporate version of Peace Corps). I must admit, were I to hear this while working in my past office cubicle jobs, I would feel trapped in comparison. Now that I'm back in school (and enjoying myself for the most part), I simply tell myself that my turn to travel will come again (Senegal 2007!). I tell people that I get antsy if I'm stuck in the country for too long. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't love America, it's that I love traveling and having new experiences, seeing new things, meeting new people and trying new foods. The more third world the better. (Trust me, there is NOTHING like fresh food in the third world; everything is ALWAYS hand done).

With that said, when I don't have money (like now), I try and satsify my wanderlust via travelogues. "Motoring with Muhammed" by Eric Hansen is one of my favorite travelogues of all time. You can read more about my thoughts on it here On the Road. This article also includes my take on "A Year in Provence" by Peter Mayle, "Looking for Lovedu: A Woman's Journey Across Africa" by Ann Jones, and "Sorcerer's Apprentice" by Tahir Shah.

Playing on the ipod now: "Mr. Brightside," The Killers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home