Wednesday, June 07, 2006

A Year of Reading: Books of 2006

I read alot, even when I'm not in school. I thought it'd be interesting to keep track of what I'm reading this year in order to be able to look back and see how I what I've read may have shaped my writing. I got the inspiration from Sara Nelson's So Many Books, So Little Time: A Year of Passionate Reading, an ode to readers and books. She decided to keep track of a year's worth of reading to see how what she reads influences her life and vice versa.

The most recent books are listed on top of each list.

Books I'm reading now:
    Leslie Downer, Women of the Pleasure Quarters: The Secret History of the Geisha




Books I've read:

  • Julie Lepore, The Name of War: King Phillip's War and the Making of American Identity
  • James Merrell, Into the Woods: Negotiators on the Pennsylvania Frontier
  • -Alan Grant, DC Heroes: Last Sons (I have to add a minus to this because it was so terrible.)
  • Jennifer Cruisie, Welcome to Temptation
  • Jennifer Cruisie, Fast Women
  • Lizabeth Cohen, A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in PostWar America
  • Michael McGerr, A Fierce Discontent: The Rise and Fall of the Progressive Movement in America, 1870-1920
  • *Alisa Kwitney, Sex as a Second Language

  • *Naomi Novik, The Black Powder War

  • *Naomi Novik, Throne of Jade

  • *Paul Coelho, The Alchemist

  • *Naomi Novik, Her Majesty's Dragon

  • *Susan Quilliam, Body Language

  • *Charles DeLint, Widdershins

  • *Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Scion

  • *Karen Armstrong, A Short History of Myth

  • Marjorie M. Liu, Tiger Eye
  • Gena Showalter, Animal Instincts
  • Emma Holly, All U Can Eat
  • Suzanne Brockmann, The Admiral's Bride
  • *James Scott Bell, Write Great Fiction: Plot & Structure
  • Jennifer Worick, Joe Borgenicht, and Larry Jost, The Action Heroine's Handbook
  • Gloria Kempton, Write Great Fiction: Dialogue
  • Linnea Sinclair, Finders Keepers
  • Lucie Aubrac, Outwitting the Gestapo
  • Augusten Burroughs, Dry
  • *Lauren Willig, The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (good beach book; I always loved The Scarlet Pimpernel and this is a funny chick lit-ish kind of take on that whole mythos)
  • Annie Hwang, The People's Republic of Desire (those interested in consumer, sex and pop culture in modern China should check this out; the first bits of the book are entertaining, but it's kind of jumpy, like a collection of blog entries.
  • *Elizabeth Vaughn, Warprize
  • *Kwame Anthony Appiah, In My Father's House: Africa in the Philosophy of Culture
  • Gena Showalter, Heart of the Dragon
  • T.C. McCaskie, Asante Identities
  • *Kwame Anthony Appiah, Cosmopolitanism
  • Belinda Bozzoli, Theatres of Struggle and the End of Apartheid
  • D. Fairchild Ruggles, ed., Women, Patronage, and Self-Representation in Islamic Societies
  • Nancy Kress, Write Great Fiction: Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint
  • *Suzanne Brockmann, Breaking Point
  • Norah Vincent, Self-Made Man: One Woman's Journey into Manhood and Back
  • H.G. Pope, Jr., K. Phillips, R. Olivardia, The Adonis Complex: The Secret Crisis of Male Body Obsession
  • Anne Bishop, Sebastian
  • Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale
  • John Iliffe, Africans: The History of a Continent
  • *John Williams, Classroom in Conflict
  • Dawn Cook, The Decoy Princess
  • Raymond Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
  • Phillip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • *H.G. Wells, War of the Worlds (listened to Audio CD)
  • Benedict Anderson, Imagined Communities: Reflections of the Origin and Spread of Nationalism
  • David Northrup, Africa's Discovery of Europe 1450-1850
  • Samuel Fussell, Muscle, Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder
  • Catherine Asaro, The Final Key
  • *Brandon Sanderson, Elantris (such a good book; I actually emailed the author to tell him what a good book it was)
  • *Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
  • *Elizabeth Kostova, The Historian (yes it's a vampire novel, but very well done)


Books I've re-read:

  • *Carrie Asai, Samurai Girl: Book of the Sword (taking notes about pacing and plotting)
  • *Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Dart (to take notes to learn about pacing and plotting)
  • *Robin McKinley, The Hero and the Crown (This was one of the few books I read when I was younger that made me realize that girls in fantasy didn't always have to be beautiful wimpy princesses. I love this book; I'm still trying to convince my husband that Aerin is a great name for a kid :)
  • *Stephen King, On Writing
  • *Orson Scott Card, Characters & Viewpoint
  • *Chanrithy Him, When Broken Glass Floats: A memoir of growing up under the Khmer Rouge



Books I've tried to read, but have put down for now, hoping to return to when I have more time:

  • Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique
  • Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
  • Strunk & White, Elements of Style (illustrated edition)
  • Randy Kennedy, Subwayland: Adventures in the World Beneath New York
  • Raymond Chandler, The Big Sleep

  • Mark Helprin, A Winter's Tale

    (* means highly recommended)

    Look for this post to be continually updated!
    last updated September 12, 2006

  • 4 Comments:

    At 12:53 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

    Hi Amy, I'm so impressed with your regular content!

    I use this librarything.com to catalogue/rate/comment on all the books I've read. Which reminds me, I need to update my list! Check it out, you might like it!

    My list...
    http://www.librarything.com/catalog/kattia

     
    At 5:10 PM, Blogger alau said...

    You've got some good books there! I'm going to have to come and borrow some...that is once I return the ones that I've had for the past few years...

     
    At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    jonathan strange.. brilliant book :)..

     
    At 12:31 PM, Blogger Liminal Me said...

    Happened across your blog by accident and have enjoyed reading it. I just want to note that I have yet to meet a single person who has finished Jonathan Norell and Mr. Strange. Not a single one.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home